Bureau of Cannabis Control Emergency Regulations CODE OF REGULATIONS TITLE 16 DIVISION
§ 5037. Record Retention
(a) Each licensee shall keep and maintain the following records related to commercial cannabis
activity for at least seven years:
(1) Financial records including, but not limited to, bank statements, sales invoices, receipts, tax
records, and all records required by the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
(formerly Board of Equalization) under title 18, California Code of Regulations, sections 1698
(2) Personnel records, including each employee’s full name, social security or individual tax
payer identification number, date employment begins, and date of termination of employment if
(3) Training records including, but not limited to, the content of the training provided and the
names of the employees that received the training.
(4) Contracts with other licensees regarding commercial cannabis activity.
(5) Permits, licenses, and other local authorizations to conduct the licensee’s commercial
(6) Security records, except for surveillance recordings required pursuant to section 5044 of this
(7) Records relating to the composting or destruction of cannabis goods.
(8) Documentation for data or information entered into the track and trace system.
(9) All other documents prepared or executed by an owner or his employees or assignees in
connection with the licensed commercial cannabis business.
(b) The Bureau may make any examination of the books and records of any licensee as it deems
necessary to perform its duties under the Act.
(c) Records shall be kept in a manner that allows the records to be produced for the Bureau at the
licensed premises in either hard copy or electronic form, whichever the Bureau requests.
(d) A licensee may contract with a third party to provide custodial or management services of the
records. Such a contract shall not relieve the licensee of the licensee’s responsibilities under this
Authority: Section 26013, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 26160 and
26161, Business and Professions Code.